Saturday, November 30, 2013

Vimeo is Back . . . sort of

There is some great news regarding Vimeo.
I have been in communication with the technology folks at WVDE regarding Vimeo.  At this time, Vimeo is blocked at the state level, however, you can send links to specific videos to filtering@access.k12.wv.us to get those videos whitelisted.
I sent the URLs of six Vimeo videos to WVDE for approval last week.  I had an immediate confirmation email letting me know that the request was received.  Less than two days later, I received an email that all six were whitelisted.  Of these six videos, one was Bonnie's, one was Jason's, one was Lewis', one was Rob's, one was mine and one was just something that I found on the web that looked interesting.  All were approved.  In fact, the videos that are in the November 16 and November 18 postings have been whitelisted.
Before I sent the URLs to filtering@access.k12.wv.us I made certain that there was no offensive content in the video, description or, perhaps most critically, the comments.  I disabled comments on my video to prevent offensive comments from jeopardizing the approval.
With this small victory, I plan to contact WVDE to see if we can get a Vimeo channel whitelisted that will allow us to post videos that are available to educators and students.
That all being said, this is the filtering that is done at the state level.  Each county has the ability to impose additional filtering.  While most counties accept the filters at the state level, a few block sites that the state permits.  If your district blocks Vimeo and YouTube videos that the state has whitelisted, I would encourage you to work with your district administration to get these valuable educational videos available to your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment